14/10/2010

I could really use a wish right now...

Well, it's been some time since I last updated this blog. I hate it if I've seemed like the type of person who opens a blog for a certain thing and then forgets to update it. I will admit that the post flow on this blog could be very slow for whatever reason. Needless to say, hang on in there for more Jarvworld fun!

This particular image (pen and ink) will probably seem somewhat melancholy, so let me explain its origins. For those not in the know, the lyrics at the bottom are adapted from "Airplanes" by rap artist B.O.B. What really gripped me was the chorus, sung by Hayley Williams of the band Paramore:

"Can we pretend that airplanes
In the night sky
Are like shooting stars
I could really use a wish right now (wish right now, wish right now)"

In a dark world, these lyrics may seem quite resonant, which is probably one of the reasons why the song did so well in the charts. I took that chorus (with a bit of tweaking, mainly of "airplane" to the more correct "aeroplane"), and came up with an image to compliment them. I used a child, an innocent so sensitive to the idea that horrible things go on in the world. What is seen here is not a downright depression and despair, but a type of lingering worry for the world, and the inevitable prospect of facing that magic is non-existent. The persistent use of sepia is there to give the sense that hope really is running dry, sort of like a throwback to the Kansas scenes from The Wizard of Oz.

NOTE/CONFESSION/APOLOGY: As I haven't got access to my faithful scanner at the moment,  I have used my SLR camera to photograph this picture. I feel that the reproduction quality isn't as high mainly due to my erratic photography skills. Hopefully I'll get access to a scanner of sorts (mine or someone else's), but for now let's hope my photography can improve for later attempts!

No comments:

Post a Comment