11/03/2012

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Athenian...

Around a week ago, I drew a picture of the Cyclops from Homer's Odyssey. I posted it on here, but chances are that I'm the only one who even saw it live. I really didn't like what I'd drawn, so I decided to scrap the post to avoid showing the world. Last night, I tackled the Cyclops again, this time having in mind the work of artists from the Golden Age of Hollywood Animation, in particular Ward Kimball, the Disney animator who drew some of the broader, looser characters in some of the classic Disney feature films, such as Jiminy Cricket, Bacchus in Fantasia's "Pastoral Symphony", the Mad Hatter and March Hare, the crows in Dumbo and Cinderella's mice friends.

Although I think that my cyclops is a bit too broad fit perfectly into an apt illustration of Homer's epic, I have to say that I prefer this attempt compared to the first attempt last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment