20/04/2013

Hansel and Gretel

I'd forgotten I'd done this drawing of Hansel and Gretel discovering the witch's cottage until I happened upon it in a sketchbook from last year. Hansel and Gretel ranks among my favourite fairy tales (it'd probably be somewhere in the Top 10), and I think the reason why I like it (and the reason why I think it remains one of the Grimms' best known tales) is because it tells a simple, human story about the need for survival and the triumph of good over evil.
I also think the imagery and settings are particularly enticing, in particular the concept of a gingerbread cottage. I've chosen to go for a slightly more humbling depiction of the edifice as described by the Brothers Grimm themselves, unlike the extreme candy-coated renditions most modern versions show. See if you spot anything particular on the house that may allude to the owner's witchy ways...

1 comment: