08/07/2011

En ville

A little pen and ink drawing based upon a mix of French architecture, including some from La Rochelle, where I spent a few months teaching English as a foreign language through the British Council. I suppose one could call it a sentimental, naïve and quite frankly rose-tinted view of all things continental, but as much as there may be personal sentiments and memories in it, it's really a fictional, innocent rendering meant to evoke storybook illustrations and that sense of childlike wonder that exists in most of us (sorry if I sound like I'm quoting Walt Disney wholesale there!).


It was done on a sheet full of doodles and other sketches, so if you're wondering why it may look a bit cropped at the top, it's because I hit the top of the page.

2 comments:

  1. The sketchy style of the drawing kind of reminds me of the Quentin Blake illustrations to be found on most Roald Dahl books. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have Quentin Blake in mind, but I actually used the same techniques he uses (dip pen and ink wash), so that could be the reason it reminds you of his work. The dip pen can be erratic, giving off uneven lines, and can even seem to scratch the paper (I used fine grain, so it was somewhat thick and textured - if you were to run your finger over the painting, you'd feel the bumps). I think that Blake plays off the inconsistency of the technique to create wonderfully sketchy, impressionistic pictures.

    ReplyDelete